ABOUT REV. BILLY D. STRAYHORN
Billy is originally from the St. Louis area of Missouri. He came to Texas in 1979 to attend Seminary and, with God’s guidance, made the Central Texas Annual Conference his home. Billy has been in the Ministry since 1974. He received his License to Preach in 1976. Having served a number of Churches in both Missouri and Texas, he is currently:
Retired and living the good life. After 40 years of service in active pastoral ministry, Billy retired on July 1, 2015. Since retirement, he and his wife have been watching their grandkids grow, travelling with their two Chihuahuas in their RV and enjoying life.
His last appointment was as Lead Pastor of First United Methodist Church of Glen Rose, Texas
Billy served as one of the Spiritual Directors on the start up team for the Irish Methodist Church Walk to Emmaus, Dublin Emmaus 1 & 2, 2005 in Dublin, Ireland.
In 2014 Billy served with a group of US Clergy in a Spiritual Formation Retreat with a group of Clergy from the Latvian United Methodist Church lead by longtime friends and colleagues, Dr. Jesse Sowell and Rev. Annette Sowell.
He plans to relax and spend time grillin’ and chillin’ in his outdoor kitchen,
spend more time with his kids and grandkids;
work on his special Barbecue Rub and develop other rubs and spices for his outdoor kitchen,
write (books, sermons, blogs etc.)
update this website
continue to support and be a resource for my clergy friends in Latvia and the Friends of Latvia,
travel with his wife, family and friends,
be available to preach revivals or fill pulpits when needed,
and continue to be in ministry through missions.
- A Veteran of the United States Coast Guard
- A Graduate of Perkins School of Theology – Southern Methodist University
- A Graduate of Central Methodist College, Fayette, Missouri
- Former Spiritual Director for the Central Texas Annual Conference Chrysalis Movement
- Associate Editor for Parables, Etc & The Pastor’s Story File from Saratoga Press
- Former Arlington – Mid Cities Emmaus Community Spiritual Director
- Former Spiritual Director for the Central Texas Annual Conference Emmaus Movement
- Married to Mary (a 5th grade teacher).
- The father of two sons:
- Paul – married to Tina (the best thing that ever happened to him) and gainfully employed with his own Tech Business
- Joshua – a graduate of Texas A&M, UT Arlington and Emory University, who is teaching Political Science, Game Theory and doing research at the University of Colorado in Boulder.
- The Grandfather of three beautiful Grandsons:
- Zachary David Strayhorn -Hockey Player and Cellist
- Nathan Paul Strayhorn – Baseball Player and Slight of Hand Artist
- Evan Gabriel Strayhorn – Baseball and Hockey player.
- The Proud owner of Cookie (our own little cookie monster, a rescue dog)
- The Proud owner of a Amazon Kindle (Had to upgrade from the Rocket eBook)
- A dyed in the wool Eric Clapton fan.
- A fan of the Jazz musician of the same name who wrote “Take The A Train” and arranged for Duke Ellington.
His Favorite Movie: “It’s A Wonderful Life”
His Favorite Book (Besides the Bible): “To Kill A Mockingbird”
His Favorite Quotes: (Biblical)
- “The Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God” (Romans 8:16)
- “See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and that is what we are.” (1 John 3:1)
- “No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. (John 15:13-15)
- “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.” (John 3:16-17)
- “Those who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:31)
His Favorite Quotes: (Non-Biblical)
- “I’m not going bald, I’m just getting taller than my hair.”
- “Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” Groucho Marx
- “There comes a time in every man’s life, and I’ve seen plenty of them.” Casey Stengel
- “The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.”
- “You can’t walk on water if you don’t get out of the boat.”
- “The commandments are liturgical before they are ethical, a means of worship, of praising God with our lives.” Bishop William Willimon
- “Due to the fact that Monday falls on Tuesday this Wednesday, Thursday’s regular meeting will be held on Friday this Saturday because Sunday is a holiday.” Red Skelton
Has Various Works and Sermons Published in:
- “A Hope That Does Not Disappoint” a book of sermons from CSS Publishing
- The Preaching Magazine Annual Survey of Software for Preachers
- Various sermons in Dynamic Preaching Magazine
- Thirteen Winning Sermons for Advent and Christmas with Rev. Timothy J. Smith
- Various sermon briefs in Preaching Magazine
- Various sermon commentary in Homiletics
- 1995 Abingdon Preaching Annual
- 1996 Abingdon Preaching Annual
- 1997 Abingdon Preaching Annual
- 1998 Abingdon Preaching Annual
- 1999 Abingdon Preaching Annual
- Pastor’s Story File
- Parables, Etc